Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Healthy Pumpkin Bread


This delicious, healthy recipe is compliments of my cousin Laura Swoyer

3 tbs ground flaxseed
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar  (I usually use 3/4 c. molasses and then 1/4 c.
sugar - usually sucanat or something other than white sugar)  I think if you used all sugar you could cut it way back maybe to 2/3 or 3/4 c.
Also note that if you use molasses you have to add more baking soda.  I usually add almost an extra 1/2tsp.)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/2 cup canola oil (I usually cut it back to 1/3c or a little less)
2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp each cinnamon, fresh nutmeg, and ground ginger (I usually add a little
more than a tsp. I like my bread spicy.  I also add a tsp of ground cloves.)
1 tsp baking soda  (1 1/2tsp if using molasses)
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 cup chopped walnuts
sprinkles of oats and sugar for garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together the flaxseed and water until thickened. (Don't skip this step.  You have to let the flax soak up the water, otherwise the recipe is not the same. This is the egg substitution.) Combine flax mixture in a large bowl with sugar, applesauce, oil, and pumpkin.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, spices, baking soda, baking powder,

and salt. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet.  Fold in the walnuts.  Lightly grease loaf pans.  Divide into two regular 8 inch loaf pans or four mini loaf pans.  If you'd like, sprinkle on some oats or turbinado to garnish.  Bake the large loaves for about 55 minutes and the smaller loaves for about 40 minutes.  Let sit for 20 minutes before removing from pan.    

No comments:

Post a Comment