Sunday, November 21, 2010

Quick and Easy Yeast Rolls

This recipe came from my Granny Shirl.  Another amazing woman who had 6 kids.  Had a garden larger than the home she lived in.  Canned all her own fruits and vegetables.  Could cook, sew, play the organ, paint amazing things, remember the words to every kids song known to man.............I could go on and on.  How is it that grandmothers are so amazing?  I miss her too!

Anyway, I have been making this recipe for probably the last 14-15 years.  I visited her one time and she just whipped these up about an hour or so before dinner.  At dinner, I thought I had died and gone to heaven and told her I MUST. HAVE. THIS. RECIPE!  She laughed, gave it to me.  And the rest is history!  Enjoy.

1 pkg. active dry yeast
3/4 cup warm water (105-115 degrees)
2 tblsp sugar
2 tblsp vegetable oil
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
2 1/2-2 3/4 cups flour
softened butter

Dissolve yeast in warm water in a large mixing bowl.  Add sugar, oil, salt and egg.  Stir to dissolve sugar and salt.

Stir in one cup of flour until smooth.  

Cover with cloth and put on rack over a bowl/pan of HOT water (not boiling) and let rise 15 minutes.  

Grease 9x9 pan.

Stir down batter and add 1 1/2 cups flour.  Stir until mixed.  

Knead 3 minutes.  If sticky, knead in a 1/4 cup flour.

Divide into 16 pieces.  Shape balls, arrange in pan.  Brush tops with melted butter.  (side note - I have also put 3 mini balls in muffin pans to make pull apart rolls, you can get creative with how you design your rolls.  Tell me how you made yours)

Cover and let rise 25 minutes.
Heat oven to 425 degrees.
Bake 12-15 minutes or until light brown.  Remove from pan to rack.  Brush with butter again (I like to pour a little melted butter over it instead of just brushing the tops).
VARIATIONS: (as if it couldn't get any better)
CHEDDAR CHEESE - add 1/2 cup sharp cheddar with addition of flour.  Continue as directed.  Bake 15-17 minutes.

CINNAMON NUT - after shaping, roll each ball in melted butter, then in a mixture of cinnamon, nut, sugar mixture (2tblsp sugar, 2 tblsp packed brown sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon and 1/4 cup chopped nuts).  Continue as directed.

GARLIC - Add 2 cloves minced garlic to 1/4 cup melted butter.  Pour over rolls immediately after they come out of the oven.  Top with a little parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment