Monday, November 29, 2010

Peanut Chicken

A dear friend of our Scott Roozen, who is also a firefighter in southern CA and an amazing cook, handed down this recipe to me.  It was a firehouse favorite and I can tell you that anytime Scott said come for dinner because he was cooking.........we ran right over!  What a great neighbor to have.  He first served us this dish in 2005 and I have been making it ever since.  Our family loves this dish.

His wife, Vida, is a good cook in her own right.......Taco Tuesday was her gig and I learned a few tricks that I'll share in another post.

Now on to Peanut Chicken...
  • 1 bulb garlic (or to taste) I don't think you can ever have too.much.garlic!  NEVER!
  • handful of cilantro (or to taste)
  • 1 whole bunch green onions
  • 1 cup crunchy peanut butter
  • 3/4 cup medium picante sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tblsp salt
  • 1 tblsp pepper
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 2 tblsp lemon juice
  • 3-4 chicken breasts, cut in to strips or use tenderloins
Mix all ingredients in a large gallon size ziploc bag or rubbermaid container.  Shake vigorously until all ingredients are blended.

Add chicken, seal bag, toss to coat and marinate for 4 hours or more.  Overnight is best if you can.

Remove from marinade and grill til cooked through.

Serve with white sticky rice, your favorite grilled veggies and grilled bread.  A delicious summertime meal.  I know I am posting it in winter but remember this site is for me to preserve all our favorite family recipes, right?  So some winter dishes may come in summer and vice versa.  I type up what I run across as I am looking through my handwritten cookbooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment