Tuesday, November 23, 2010

How do you store your recipes?

A few weeks ago, I found out that my cousin started a blog to archive her recipes, check her out here.  But it didn't move me to think about starting one.  Granted I thought it was a great idea but I couldn't even manage my own personal family blog, how in the world was I going to maintain a SECOND blog?  

Well, fast forward to last week.....my 15 year old son comes into the kitchen as I am cooking and asks if he can have 1 night a week to be the cook in the kitchen.  Absolutely.  Woo Hoo, one night I don't have to cook.  Yipee.  I am a happy dish washer when someone else cooks.

Then he asks.........when I move out on my own, can I have some of your cookbooks to take with me?  Sure was my first response.  I was delighted that he enjoyed my cooking enough to want to carry on some of the recipes.  But wait.......

What am I going to do without those treasured cookbooks in hand?  How will I make my favorite recipes?  How will I journal our food legacy?  Stop the presses..........that food blogging site my cousin started seemed more like something I needed to do.

You see, for the last 17 years I have written in all of my cookbooks.  I scribble notes on the pages about who I made the dish for,  who was there, if we liked it and if I would make it again.  I also write dates in the corner to remember when I made the dish for the first time.  
Going back has been so nostalgic.  I have cried at some of my notes, laughed at others and remember so many events and people based on those scribbles.  I know now, that I am not ready to part with my cookbooks.

So here I sit today, in the middle of a busy holiday week when I should be baking pies.....oh wait, they are in the oven.......and I am sorting through cookbooks one by one and handwritten recipes handed down to me by family members.  I am chronicling our food history, our friends, our family and traditions handed by from generation to generation.

These words are my own, they might not mean much to you.  But.....when my children decide they want to cook and open this blog, I hope they will find the perfect recipe and remember why it was important to our family.  

So tell me, how do you store your recipes?  Do you blog them?  Do you write in your cookbooks?  Do you write down stories about meals you've served?  How is sharing your food legacy important to you and why?

I am thankful that I can do this for my children.  I am thankful indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Woohoo!!! I'm gonna love going through your recipes. The blog looks great, and I'm already salivating over those yeast rolls! This is another example of why I *have* to have a computer in the kitchen, since I'm always searching for new food ideas and saving my own recipes online:) Love your idea of adding personal info to the recipes...

    ReplyDelete