Saturday, November 20, 2010

Grandma Mae's Strawberry Fig Preserves

You will hear me talk about my grandmother more than once.  She was one of the most incredible women I have known in my life.  I adored her.  I spent summers with her.

She let me have free access to her kitchen....at the age of 10, 12, 15, whenever I was there to visit.

She canned...a LOT!  She made the best jams I have ever consumed.

Even in college, I begged for a few jars of whatever she recently put in jars.  It was gold.  It was wonderful.

I just wish she was here now so that I could get her to make this jam for me.  I miss her. 

3 cups fresh figs, peeled and mashed
2 3-ounce boxes of strawberry jello
3 cups sugar

Mix all ingredients and bring to boil over medium heat.  Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.  Put into prepared canning jars and seal.  Check your Mason/Ball jars for appropriate canning methods if you are unfamiliar.  I will post some canning techniques at some point in the future.

This is my most favorite jam ever in the entire world!  Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment